To send flowers is to care deeply, whether as a celebration, message of friendship, love, condolence – you really can say it all with flowers. Here are our top tips to keep your beautiful flower delivery fresh and stunning for longer.
• Water temperature is very important. Warm water will dehydrate stems much faster, so be sure to use cold water. However, nearer the end of your beautiful flowers’ lifespan, a little life can be regained by keeping them in hotter water (between 45-90°C)
• Carefully remove all leaves and foliage that will sit below the waterline.
• In most cases, it’s unnecessary to allow the water to cover more than about 15cm of the stem.
• Gently manicure (re-cut) the stems every couple of days.
• Changing the water every couple of days is perhaps the most important thing you can do to keep your blooms looking marvellous for as long as possible.
• Natural care for your flower delivery is very important, and all you need could be in your kitchen. Aspirin is an acid, the addition of which to your flowers’ water will help to reduce bacteria growth. Similarly, 2 tablespoons of vinegar or lemon juice (per 1.2liters of water) will accomplish the same task.
Remember, when your blooms finally wilt beyond repair there’s no need to head straight for the kitchen bin. Why not recycle and send flowers again? Pressed or dried out flowers make great decorations and go a long way in homemade crafts.